Friday 17 June 2011

Mother's Day and the Atlanta Police

Each night when I get off from work, I stop by to visit my mother. She is in a Buckhead (Atlanta) nursing home now and is still as vibrant, alive and busy as she was when was directing the youth choirs at our church.

I hurry through the routines of cleaning the room and exchanging the freshly washed and ironed outfits for the worn. We exchange pleasantries and church gossip and I'm on my way.

Last week I found myself in a mood most foul and raced through a yellow light at breakneck speed. I was pulled over by one of our highly esteemed Atlanta Police. He shone the spotlight from his car into mine. I had never had this happen in more than 30 years of driving. 'OMG,' I thought. He's going to make me get out and then pat me down. Everybody is going to think I'm a drug dealer!'

Over the loudspeaker he asked me to pull over and I did. I already had my license and proof of insurance ready. I addressed him as sir, old-fashioned I know, but it is the way I was taught.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?" he asked.

"Yes sir. I thought I could make it through that light."

He continued "You know, you can't turn on red back there. And you came through that light like somebody was chasing you? Where are you coming from?"

"Nursecare of Buckhead," I said. "I take care of my mom when I get off from work."

I don't know if he liked my 1970's afro. I don't know if it was the warmth I exuded, the result of fear. I don't know if it was the Federal i. d. badge from work. I don't know if he could somehow relate to the nightly ritual I perform. I didn't know anything except the words to this church song that came to me:

My mother prayed for me, had me on her mind, took the time to
pray for me. I'm so glad she prayed, I'm so glad she prayed, I
I'm so glad she prayed for me.

"Well.....don't let it happen again." And I thanked him mightily.

First Lady Michelle Obama said that 'The security of your parents' love really gives you the foundation to think that you can fly. And then you do.' That theory rings doubly true in the case of my parents, whose constant love along with the religious and academic education they provided, gave wings to my brother and myself. Our seeds have been blessed through our parents and by the God-fearing generation s that preceded them Wherever I traverse, I am already walking in victory.

I am so thankful for my father, who has gone on to glory, and for my mother on Mothers Day and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment