Monday 23 May 2011

Closest Friends’ Importance

Before going deeper into this subject, it is important to realize how crucial the role of the closest people in our life is. Can you think of 3 closest people to you? Those are the ones that influence you most and you will undoubtedly find their character traits in your own behavior. It is important to have real friends - the kind of friends that do not envy you but celebrate your success and believe in you 100% - I’d rather have one or two good friends than thousands of the other kind.

Even the most important and most influential man who lived on this Earth, namely Jesus Christ, had His own close circle of friends where he had only three people. Although Jesus Christ had 12 apostles, He repeatedly performed certain actions in the presence of only three people. For example, do you remember how He raised up from the death the daughter of Jairus? The girl had just died before Jesus’ arrival there: "When he arrived at the house of Jairus, he did not let anyone go in with him except Peter, John and James, and the child's father and mother. Meanwhile, all the people were wailing and mourning for her. "Stop wailing," Jesus said. "She is not dead but asleep." They laughed at him, knowing that she was dead. But he took her by the hand and said, "My child, get up!" Her spirit returned, and at once she stood up." Luke 8: 51-55

Another time Jesus takes His closest circle of friends up on the mountain: "After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus." Mathew 17:1-3

Why didn’t Jesus take the other apostles too? Why only three again? I am sure all would have been edified by such an experience!

If you think about it, there are really few people in this world that can truly bring out the best in you, that believe in you without continuously questioning you and your actions (I am referring of course at good deeds that reflect Christ).

I have experience with this kind of friends that believe in you like 90%, and not 100%. What happened was that we had this concert abroad and after checking the best way to deal with expenses of transportation and lodging, she started asking me all these questions a day or two before departure and she started calculating everything just to see if I used the best option. She realized afterward it was really the best choice I made, but…I had the chance to see her real face so to speak, and even if I believed she was all for me, I saw that there are certain limits to that relationship. I learnt my lesson and realized who the ones who really believe in me are (obviously they might be other people and not necessarily the ones you’ve expected).

I felt dragged down by this attitude my friend had but now I know whom I can have in my closest circle of friends. Of course she is a good person and all that but as far as the relationship goes, I know where the limits are.

In choosing your closest friends pay attention to the way they speak. Someone’s maturity level and also the character of that person can be seen in how he/she talks.

Does your friend talk pessimistic and always seeing the empty side of the glass? Do they curse after every word? Do they easily lie for no apparent reason? (not that being insincere for any reason would be acceptable, no, it is not, but there are people who just lie like that with no reason at all). Do they gossip all the time?

Pray and ask God to give you discernment to choose close friends carefully, and most importantly, keep in mind that even the closest might eventually betray you in hard times - as they did to Jesus- but never, never forget that Jesus Christ knows the pain of this kind of rejection and He is Always there to be your best friend, a real friend in time of joy or sorrow.

If you need to make some changes regarding friends, don’t wait, make them today (wisely of course)! It will surely save you from years of suffering!

No comments:

Post a Comment