Sunday 12 June 2011

Lessons to Love, Luck, and LIfe: Lesson One

Soo, new story. And I desperately need you guys to tell me what you think. Even if it's like four words to a comment or just the poll. Oh, and I would LOVE to know how to post a picture on here. Please and thanks so much guys :) Comment! (PS: the good stuff comes next chapter)

Lesson One: Learn to Adjust (for the better)
______________________________________
"I’m really going to miss you Aubrey," said my best friend Tracey.

I put my last box in the U-Haul. "I know. I’m really gonna miss you too Trace." I felt my eyes start to sting and I knew I was on the edge of crying. Tracey outstretched her arms and we hugged for the millionth time that day.

"I’ll call you as soon as we get settled," I said. We then did our handshake we made up years ago, and said our last good-byes. Again.

I got in the car and looked at a crying Tracey as we were pulling away. There I was: Aubrey Hall, on my twelve hour journey with my divorced mother to start our new life in sunny North Carolina. From somewhere as small as Murray City Ohio to somewhere like North Carolina is a huge change. A change I didn’t want to make. As I was scrolling absent-mindedly through the songs on my Ipod, reality hit me, and it hit me hard. In less than eighty-two hours from then, I’d be a friendless fifteen year old at Maplewood High. ‘That’s something to look forward to,’ I thought sarcastically.

"Hun, listen. I know you didn’t want to go, but look at how good things will be for us. I got a new job, we’ll have a nice house on the beach, you’ll make a whole bunch of new friends, and maybe you’ll even meet some cute guys," Mom said. Normally, she’s my best friend, but I was still too upset that she was making me move to think of her as anything but my mother. All I could do was nod in return. I closed my eyes and drifted asleep.

-12 Hours Later-

After twelve hours of sleeping, waking up, getting gas and talking to Mom, I saw the "Welcome to North Carolina!" sign I’d been dreading. We drove for about another twenty minutes until our car came to a stop.

"Oh gosh Aubrey! Look at the house!," yelled Mom excitedly. I looked up at the two-story, white, cozy, white fenced, most beautiful house I’d ever seen.

"THIS is our house?!," I yelled back excitedly. I didn’t give her a chance to answer my rhetorical question. I ran out of the car toward the covered, wrap around porch. I wasted no time going inside. I felt my draw drop in shock. The foyer was a small square with a spiral stair case about four feet ahead. To the left of the stairs was a hallway which I followed, leading me into the biggest kitchen I have ever seen. The island in the middle was surrounded by six dark mahogany, tall chairs, matching the cabinets. The marble counter tops matched the island’s perfectly. The new stainless steel appliances shined with a new touch. I walked through a doorway into a light yellow, bright living room with brown furniture and the biggest flat screen TV I’d ever seen hanging from the wall. I walked back excitedly toward the spiral staircase to pick out one of the three bedrooms on the second floor. I picked a light lilac room with white carpet, a small balcony with a set of French doors, and an adjoining bathroom.

After I unpacked what seemed like a billion boxes and called Tracey, I gave my room a nod of approval. I looked at my newly decorated queen sized bed with a bunch of throw pillows. I looked at my white desk in the corner of my room. And I looked at my selves lined with books. I nodded as I let my happiness wash over me. I opened my set of French doors and stepped onto my balcony. It was nighttime and at that very moment, it seemed like everyone and everything in the world were at peace. I closed my eyes and inhaled the musky, peaceful sea scent. I could get used to this

No comments:

Post a Comment